Previous page | Next | e-mail your feedback
Pictures and other information provided by Paul & Helen Wootton.
Th business on the left was located at the corner of Church Street
and the High Street. (early 1900s ?)
The view above was taken Sept. 2009.
On the left is a picture of Fredrick Douglas Wootton with his
brother John Ellis Wootton. Fred and John were born 1896
and 1905 respectively. They are in front of the local
(The building in the background is an out-building of Town Farm on the corner of Marford Road.)
|A group of soldiers. On the extreme right is Fredrick George Wootton. He is also pictured in the doorway of the shop at the top of this page.|
Group of mourners and gun carriage - date approximately May 1915
outside No 1 Church St. The coffin contains F.D.Wootton
The procession is turning into the High St.
(The ivy covered building is clear in both this picture and the one of the shop at the top of the page.)
(On the opposite side of the High St is the building that was at some time a public house - The Ship.)
|We are not sure when Grandfather F.G.W. moved into the shop. We were given to understand it was known as "Wootton Corner". He moved there with his wife Ann and two boys F.D.W. & J.E.W. and a daughter Ellen Wootton, known as 'Nellie'. At some time after the funeral in 1915 a fire broke out at the shop, exactly when we do not know. After the fire the family moved to the High Street. The address is unknown to us.|
(Extract from the St. Albans and Wheathampstead Times, Saturday May
Driver Wootton's Funeral
The death of Driver Fred Douglas Wootton, oldest son of Mr and Mrs F.G.Wootton of 1, Church-street, Wheathampstead at the early age of 18, was an event which called forth much sympathy in the village. In private life the deceased was a salesman at the establishment of Messrs. Osborne and Garrett, of Frith Street, Soho, but heeding his countries call he "chucked his job" and enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery (Kitchener's Army). ... .... Therefore the body, enclosed in a coffin covered with purple cloth, was conveyed by rail to Wheathampstead on Friday, and rested at his home for a night.
On Saturday the funeral took place, military honours being accorded. The coffin was placed upon a gun carriage and. covered with the Union Jack, upon which rested wreathes sent by the family. ... . The Rector (The Rev. C Girwood Thompson) officiated and he with the marvellous choir met the cortege at the lyche gate, ... Mr R.W.Seabrook at the organ ...
... there were a large assemblage of parishioners including Mrs. Cherry-Garrard, Miss Davys, ....
Let us know if you have more details or an historic picture to contribute!