Collins Antiques

 

Business closed 31 March 2006

Wheathampstead Home Page | Wheathampstead families

History

Frederick George Collins and his brother Charles founded the firm of F G and C Collins in 1907. It was based at the Railway Hotel in Wheathampstead.  There were also premises at 12 High St.

 

After the First World War, the brothers acquired the corner site in Church Street. The shop, erected in 1931, is constructed from the winter garden rescued before demolition of a local mansion.

 

Fred died in 1936, Charles was joined by his son Sam in 1950. Two years later the partnership bought Barton House, a disused 18th Century brewery. The building had been condemned by the local authority but after a long legal battle, the demolition order was quashed and the conservation and restoration of the building as furniture showroom commenced. The firm became a limited company in 1960 with Charles as its Chairman.

 

In 1971 Barton House and the Corner shop were listed as buildings of architectural and historical merit.

 

The third generation of the family was Michael. He joined the company in 1975 a year before the death of his grandfather.

 

The family business of FG and C Collins Ltd was run by the director Michael Collins. They dealt mainly in 17th, 18th and 19th Century furniture displayed in over 5,000 sq ft of showrooms. The company also offered a highly skilled restoration workshop.

 

Top

Examples of items sold

 

Display Cabinet

Dutch floral marquetry Oak Display Cabinet on Bombe Chest.

Dimensions: 20" x 70" x 83"

Est. Date: Early 18th C

Period: William & Mary 1689 1702

Price: 11,500

Chest on ChestGeorgian Mahogany Chest on Chest Dimensions: 22.5" x 44" x 73"
Est. Date: 1780
Period: Georgian 1714 - 1830
Price: 3,800

BureauRegency period mahogany Bureau. 
Dimensions:21.5" x 42" x 42"
Est. Date:1810
Period:Regency 1810 - 1820
Retail Price:1,850

 

Restoration work

Established over 80 years, the workshop offered outstanding craftsmanship with a thorough knowledge of past styles and construction techniques. The workshop was supported by a comprehensive range of reclaimed timbers.

Restoration Workshop

Visitors to this site Error processing SSI file